Since the Conquest of Mallorca
The lands of Son Sureda Ric belonged to the Alquería de Sa Sínia portion that King Jaime I donated to his knight Nuno Sanç, after the conquest of Mallorca (1231). This started a process of dividing the estate.
The first news of the Suredas, as owners of the "possessió", date back to 1471. In October 1478, Bartomeu Sureda divided the estate between his two sons and was thus divided into Son Sureda Pobre and Son Sureda Ric.
The male line of the Sureda de Son Sureda Ric became extinct in 1759, by donation of Guillem Sureda to his nephew Llorenç Más. The reform of the buildings also dates from these dates, whose appearance and interior and exterior structure has been maintained until today.
In 1828, Jaume Más (Llorenç's son) had the chapel built for his son Juan Más (Father Julián), who in 1826 took the habit of Patriarch Santo Domingo in the Manacor convent. This family passed for one of the most supportive of D. Carlos. Therefore, it is not surprising that in the Carlist attempt of 35, Father Julián was counted among those involved. To flee from the enemies he hid in Son Sureda until, seeing that he could not continue, he unexpectedly fled to take a ship to Sardinia, from where he would never return.
The property was divided over the years and generations, until in 1951, the Morales-Santandreu couple (Manuel and Petra) acquired the 40-hectare estate, which included the primitive houses, chapel and vineyard of the "possessió" . Son Sureda Ric is currently owned by his daughter, Mª José Morales.
Mª José Morales (in pink in the center) with her husband Miguel Jara, her son Javier (current head of the winery), Víctor and Marisé, her son-in-law Rafel Timoner and her daughter-in-law Carme Llinàs.
Open a door to another time
From the Middle Ages to the present day, time has brought great changes for everyone except for Son Sureda Ric. Here everything remains the same, although only the worn stones of our walls are true witnesses of it. Son Sureda Ric has become a parenthesis of history that is kept alive in the electronic age.
The lands of Son Sureda Ric belonged to the Alquería de Sa Sínia portion that King Jaime I donated to his knight Nuno Sanç, after the conquest of Mallorca (1231). This started a process of dividing the farmhouse. The first news of the Suredas as owners of the "possessió" date back to 1471.
According to the historical archive of the Manacor City Council in 1856 the estate had an area of 4.5 hectares of vineyards. The grapes were used to make wine on the estate itself, since the buildings had a "cup" (press) where to ferment the must and the "celler" (storage room) to store the wine in wooden tanks. The winery and the winery are especially quiet places and averse to change. They retain the appearance of yesteryear and shelter the same atmosphere as when they were built in stone and “marés” slabs. Over the centuries, the winery and the winery have maintained unique temperature and humidity conditions: they continue to house the yeast spores that spontaneously ferment in the wine made inside their walls.
At present, the Son Sureda wine production focuses on the production of red wines from the Callet, Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon varieties. The production is small (about 10,000 bottles a year) since the winery's activity takes place in the original rooms (18th century), of limited size, which were not designed for industrial use.
In 2000, the process for the certification of the farm as Ecological Agriculture and Livestock Production began. In reality, the achievement of the certification did not imply great changes since the management of land and livestock had been done in an extensive regime and with a very reduced use of phytosanitary products and chemical fertilizers. The vineyard, located entirely within the estate, occupies an area of 3 hectares and is worked following the EU regulations for organic farming.